To Find out More info about the Lyric Theatre, Please visit LightUpTheLyric.com
Built in 1914, the Lyric Theatre was constructed for B. F. Keith’s Vaudeville circuit, and is the oldest, still standing theatre in Birmingham, Alabama. The theatre was designed to optimize the acoustics to allow stage acts to be heard without the aid of electricity. Vaudeville acts were in essence street performer acts brought inside and were the most popular form of entertainment before the introduction motion pictures. Famous acts such as The Marx Brothers, Mae West, Will Rogers, Buster Keaton, and Milton Bearle crossed the stage of the Lyric.
With the construction of the Alabama Theatre in 1927, directly across the street and introduction of motion pictures, the Lyric began to transition from vaudeville acts to second run movies. In 1958, the theatre closed for good, except for an unsuccessful attempt to reopen it in 1973. The theatre as well as the 6 story office building on the front sat empty and waiting to be torn down until 1991, the Theatre was donated to the Birmingham Landmarks, Inc., the current owners. Birmingham Landmarks, Inc. is in the process of raising funds to restore the Lyric Theatre to full operating order.
Film by Brian Zekoff & Alec Dixon
We would like to give a special thanks to:
Birmingham Landmarks, Inc.
Light Up The Lyric Campaign
Independent Presbyterian Church
UAB Digital Media Common Facility and Staff